Our founder, Irving C. (Duke) Latham, was born into an old Orient Point farm family. His father passed away while he was still a child and he began to run the farm with the help of relatives and friends. In 1948 he began to see that people were
Duke Latham, Founder
moving out to the East End and farm land would diminish. He purchased land in East Marion near Cove Beach and began a sand pit. With a tractor and a bulldozer he started clearing some land. As new houses were built requiring cesspools, he bought a crane.
We helped create many local housing developments through the years, including Soundview Inn, Orient-By-The-Sea, Cleaves Point Village, and Pebble Beach Farms.
Celebrating the 65th Anniversary at Soundview Restaurant (l-r) Nick Bazata, Stephen Hocker, Terry Latham, President, Regina Cartselos, Marion Latham, CFO, Jamie Grezgorczyk and John Hocker, Vice President.
We also started dredging, and with partners, created Stirling Harbor Marina, Fordham Canal and Fordham Acres.
Duke’s son, C. Terry Latham, became President when the company incorporated in 1979. Additional projects include the High Point sites in East Marion and Southold. In 1985 we commissioned North Fork Welding to construct a 70' steel barge and expanded to include dock building and marine work as well as site development.
Now into the 3rd generation of this family owned and operated business, John D. Hocker, P.E., Vice President, is running daily operations. Recent projects include Brewer's Yacht Yard, Kontokosta Vineyards and Peconic Bay Yacht Club.